Monday, February 10, 2014

Humble Lion in the Hood

One of my  member buddies liked to rap and that little gem came out one time.

I can truthfully say that there is room for improvement here. Perhaps not the best it can be, but that's just life. And sometimes in life, God throws something hard at you to see how you react. That's where I am right now, in the middle of God's test to me and it is up to me and only me to pass. Humility is rewarded by God, but not by man. It's not easy.

This weekend there was a funeral for a church member in Esheim. There was just big parties all day and lots of loud music and old ladies dancing funny. Ghana funerals are definitly a sight!! The good thing about them are that family from all around come, for Friday, Saturday.... and Sunday!! And Sunday means Church!! So with all the family and friends that were visiting we had about 20 investigators in Gospel Principals class!!! Every chair was full to the brim. I don't know how many will come back again, but now they can firmly say that Latter-day Saints don't have any blood sacrifices and spirit chantings... So thats still a plus!

We found ways to serve this week. As we were coming into Esheim a old old man was making traditional Ghanaian fish catching baskets. So guess who now knows how to make traditional Ghanaian fish catching baskets? Thats right!! Me! They call them something like Toris... or something and they are made from a part of a palm tree. I got to talk to the man and teach him the gospel small and all parties were happy.

Today, we had a zone service activity where we filled in the patches on a road on a hill and weeded the side. So for a good hour I went head to head with a sword against the oncoming weeds. Elder Riehle- 1, Ghana Vegetation- 0. It was great to see the apprection (and shock) from all the people walking by. Everyone except for the rich pastor in his shiny car who said that all of Ghana's problems are caused by white people and fixing a road doesn't help anything. In return, I said "For me I know that when we are in the service of our fellow beings we are in the service of your God." Crazy guy doesn't even know I quoted scripture at him!

As a final story, I smelled cheese this week. You might not think that is a big deal... but it is. Elder Wamono and I just stood and smelled for a long time. I have no idea where it came from, but all that can be said is that God blesses his servants in his own time and own way.

D&C 58:4- For after much tribulation comes blessings
"For after much tribulation come the blessings. Wherefore the day cometh that ye shall be crowned with much glory; the hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand."


Elder Riehle

No comments:

Post a Comment