Monday, November 4, 2013

Halloween

I have so many stories from this week. Ill review them all tem tem (fast fast)

On Monday, Elder Richards and I took the prophetic advice to heart and decided to plant a garden!! Only problem, this is Africa. We don't know how to garden in Africa! We got our recent convert to help us plant Cassava, pepe, avocado, onions, papaya, okra, pineapple, garden eggs (egg plant?? I think?) and tomatoes. We will enjoy... in 6 months... :/

This Thursday was Halloween! In Ghana... no one cares... We did though. We bought candy (there is no good candy here), I put a Superman shirt under my priesthood and went out! I wore a thickish shirt so no one saw it until we got to our recent convert, Ernest and I ripped it open! Then we enjoyed candy. Sort of. I know all you Americans are enjoying your Halloween candy right now. Send some to the Missionary cause in Africa!

There is a first time for everything and this week I had a first! My knees were trembling and my mouth was dry. First time having a gospel conversation with a white man!! Frightening to say the least. I dont
know what I will do when I come back. You white people are scary.This guy is a super rich guy from Britain who has rented out an old Slave Castle in Dixcove for 50 years. He goes around to the villages and sets up churches. He was VERY set in his beliefs and wasn't very nice to us... It put into perspective how Elder Frederickson's life is in England! This was the first time I have ever really had someone truly reject me. Ghanaians are too nice for that. I am so lucky to be in a place where I don't get rejected everyday.

I over stepped my racial boundaries and learned how to cut African hair! With a tiny blade.. I shaved a kids head with just a flimsy blade and it actually looked good!

This Sunday was interesting for two reasons. First, I got to finally see the Lord's chosen in General Conference! Notice that I said see.... I SAW it but for hearing.. not so much. Lets just say that
four hours of Fante talking was a wee bit long. But the spirit was nice. Second thing was an Eclipse!! Finally could check off a life long bucket list. It was a partial eclipse, no total darkness but hey, It is an Eclipse!

And then today. Oh boy. There are 3 large beaches in my area boundaries and I have now been to all of them. Butrie, Busua and Cape 3 Points. Today I went to the last, Cape 3 Points. It took about 2 hours to get there on a tiny dirt road. We got there and went to the famous light house. It wasn't all that great, but we had a good time on the rocks next to the ocean. The way out was where it got interesting. I have truly learned the lesson in Osmosis? How did I learn about the travel of water through a membrane on a mission in Africa you ask? Well. It is a lot easier to get transportation from a big town to a small town. Small to big? not so easy. We were un able to get a car back and ended up having to WALK for about 3 hours (going about 20 kilometres) and blessed to get a car for the last hour. All in all a four hour trip. We went with some guys in the branch and they repeated "a day I will never forget."

I realize that none of those stories had anything to do with the gospel and missionary work. I promise you that I AM actually working hard, not just cutting hair and going to the beach. So i'll bring it back
D&C 6:10-- We all have been given gifts. I have been so humbled and so strengthened while I have been here. I have been able to see my strengths and weaknesses like night and day. We just always have to remember that our talents come from God. So am I really good at cutting hair with a razor? Yes. Thanks God.

Choose tomorrow to be happy for the gifts you have.

Elder Riehle

No comments:

Post a Comment