Monday, July 22, 2013

A Poem

This was a great week. They keep passing by like seconds. This week I have been hearing a lot from people how they have been falling into temptation and having to repent. Because of all of that, I wrote this;

A bird was sitting overhead
and saw some juicy berries
He also saw a cunning fox
whose grin was wide and merry.

"Come down" schemed the fox
feeling mighty hungry,
But the bird thought hard and saw the jaws,
that really were quite deadly

"No no" chirpped the bird,
"for if I do, it definitly wont end good,
and everyone knows that a bird like I,
certainly makes good dog food.

"But oh, dear bird, it is not so, 
for I am quite the bird friend,
and just today I chose that I
wouldbe a vegetarian.

The bird thought once, 
the bird thought twice and saw the fruit so juicy
"I do not think I will come  down
till you are far more busy"

"Just try itonce, there is no harm
for all your friends have tried it,
and if you do , it will be like you
are on a no fruit diet"

The bird stopped to think a sec 
and took some time to ponder
"I think this fox can be a friend 
I'd say in him I have grown fonder

"I suppose that just for once I go
There is no harm in that"
And with a hop skip and a jump he flew,
his tiny wings did flap"

"Of course my friend,, Just come on down 
from you perch above,
and partake in you r hearts desire
the fruit I know youll love.

The ill-fated bird, the fruit he pecked
and ate the lot in bunches
while his friend the fox licked his lips
and thought of other lunches

The bird got snatched and in a flash 
our little tale has ended
the little bird greatly misjudged
the fox to be a good friend

And so to my friends, I say,
I urge you to be wary
for you should never once decend
and eat the tempters berries.

I have seen this in so many instances happen to great people who just get snatched in sin and are dragged down. The beautiful thing is that for us, God's children, we don't just have one chance. With repentance we can always be forgiven. One of the most amazing things I have seen here in Ghana is that God loves his children all over the world. The church is just as true 1000s of miles away. 

Alma 34:35 Don't procrastinate! 
"For behold, if ye have procrastinated the day of your repentance even until death, behold, ye have become subjected to the spirit of the devil, and he doth seal you his; therefore, the Spirit of the Lord hath withdrawn from you, and hath no place in you, and the devil hath all power over you; and this is the final state of the wicked."

I appreciate all the letters and the encouragement and support I am getting. Big Congrats to Jared Gillans and Kelsey... Gillans? for being able to get a wedding invitation all the way to Ghana! It made my 18 month companion who has someone writing him anxious. It was super funny. Thank you all!

Elder Riehle

1 comment:

  1. Love the poem, Elder Riehl! thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete