Monday, July 15, 2013

Another Baptism and First Basketball Practice

Yet again, another powerful week! Elder Harris and I had another baptism, a great man named Emmanuel Frimpong (which means Brave Man). He is a good friend of the first counselor of my branch and since the first lesson he has been telling us to hurry up and baptize him. Weeks ago he introduced himself as "Emmanuel- Church Member." It was great to have him finally baptized even though the water was only about 2 feet deep because of the power outages. Ghana is apparently the second best country for electrical power in Africa. I would hate to see other countries power... Agona lost power for about 2 days. At night, it gets very hot without a fan for ventilation. It made me appreciate electricity a bunch! 

In my last email, I mentioned that we met a man in a bar when we were checking on another investigator. The man we met was named Earnest and is probably the most intelligent Ghanaian I have met yet.  For everyone I have taught so far, we separate the Lessons into segments. So we teach them one principle at a time so that there is no confusion. This man however was just eager to learn the whole thing. We were with him for TWO whole hours because he kept asking and asking good questions and didn't want us to leave! He agreed to be baptized and he also wanted us to meet his whole family. Right time. Right place. It was amazing. 

On the way home from him (he lives about 45 minutes away) "Call Me Maybe" came on the radio in the taxi!! The funniest thing is that Elder Harris had never even heard of it because he has been out so long. While the taxi driver and I were rocking out, Elder Harris was pouting in the back. Its funny to me now, but I am sure all you guys will be rocking out to something over there and I will never know. Ignorance is Bliss. 

Early this week I finished the Book of Mormon. Every time I read it, it seriously gets better and better. Something you may or may not know about me is that... I talk in my sleep. Apparently the night I finished, I woke up my companion because he heard me saying "I know the Book of Mormon is true" and keep going. He said it was a really powerful testimony. I told him that I wish I had been there, I didn't remember anything about it at all! But sleeping Elder Riehle is right, I do know its true. 

This week was the first Agona-Nkwanta Basketball League practice! I have never been a basketball coach before and the only time I was taught to play was when I was 10. So my decision was I either teach these grown youth like 10 year olds or wing it. I winged it. I tried thinking of all the inspirational basketball movies like... Space Jam and think what cool things Michael Jordan said... Like  I said, I winged it. The guys had fun even though there were a lot of double dribbling and flying elbows. Good thing I am an EMT and I know how to patch up bloody noses, these guys aren't pros... yet! watch out NBA! The Agona Basketball League will be a big competitor! Its all fun. I love the work!


3 Nephi 27: 8- the church belongs to Christ so it is named for him too!
"And how be it my church save it be called in my name? For if a church be called in Moses’ name then it be Moses’ church; or if it be called in the name of a man then it be the church of a man; but if it be called in my name then it is my church, if it so be that they are built upon my gospel."

No comments:

Post a Comment